Please read the following to see if you qualify for the 2019 PCCD Scholarship for the CPA Conference.
If you meet the eligibility requirements, click on the application link at the end.
The Scholarship Application will be open from March 11 through midnight April 5, 2019
In order to expand the possibility of attending the 2019 CPA Conference to many agencies, coalitions and students that would not be able to attend due to lack of funding, the PA Commission on Crime and Delinquency (PPCD) is generously supporting the conference by offering scholarship money amounting to 50 full scholarships.
- Scholarships will be presented on a first-submitted, first-awarded basis to eligible agencies/coalitions/students who submit a strong statement of need.
- Priority will be given to applicants who apply to attend all conference activities from Tuesday-Friday.
What will the scholarship cover?
- All conference registration fees including the optional Pre-Conference and the Main Conference
- Hotel expenses for those recipients who live more than 50 miles away from State College for up to three nights at the Penn Stater Hotel (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday only)
Who's eligible to apply?
Social-Service Agencies and Prevention-Focused Coalitions:
- Any PA-based social-service agency that is NOT currently receiving PCCD funding is eligible
- Any PA-based prevention-focused coalition is eligible
- The awardee applicant organization will be responsible for meeting all attendee documentation requirements and any cancellation fees (if applicable)
- Attendee or replacement (as needed) cannot have previously registered for the 2019 conference
- Award preference will be given to those attending all days of the conference including Pre-Conference
- Any student enrolled full time in a PA accredited institution of higher learning and is pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in health/human services or related field and is ranked, at a minimum, as a Junior is eligible to apply
- Students will apply on their own behalf and will be responsible for meeting all attendee documentation requirements and any cancellation fees (if applicable)
- Upon award notification, awardee students will be required to provide proof of student status by submitting a scanned copy of their student photo ID and current academic schedule
- Attendee or replacement (as needed) cannot have previously registered for the 2018 conference
- There will be a maximum of five full-conference student scholarships awarded
- Must live more than 50 miles from Penn Stater Hotel
- Tues, Wed, and Thurs nights are the only allowable nights for the scholarship
- Hotel reservations will be made by CPA for all eligible awardees and a hotel confirmation number will be provided to the awardees
How do I apply for the scholarship?
- The Scholarship Application will be open from March 11 through midnight April 5, 2019
- Applicants will simply click on the link at the end of this document and it will take you to the application that will gather a small amount of contact information and ask for a short reply to questions.
- Applicants will be notified as they are approved, but no later than April 12, 2019 as to the status of their application. Final approval will come no later than April 24, 2019.
- Upon approval, student awardees will be notified where to send a scanned copy of their student photo ID and current academic schedule.
How will the applications be selected?
Each application will be reviewed and evaluated on how effectively the statement of need is presented and how well the applicant states they will use the knowledge gained in their future work. Selection will be give priority to those attending all conference activities from Tuesday-Friday.
What happens once I’m awarded a scholarship?
- Awardees will receive instruction on how to register for the conference. No payment will be required when completing registration.
- Awardees are not to make their own hotel reservations because conference personnel will make it for them based on the information supplied in awardee’s application. For this reason, careful consideration of the dates needing hotel lodging should be made during the application process.
- While attending the conference, each awardee MUST receive attendance stickers to place on their certificates at the end of each workshop, plenary session, and/or meeting they attend. Any missing attendance stickers may void the scholarship.
What are my reporting requirements after the conference?
Each awardee must complete the following:
- Provide documentation that they attended all sessions of the conference as shown through completed workshop/session certificates that are scanned and submitted directly to CPA.
- Complete a Post-Conference Scholarship Survey by answering the following questions and sending the required documentation:
- What were 3-4 main ideas or skills that you gained during the conference?
- How will you incorporate the items into your work?
- Do you plan to attend the 2020 CPA conference? If not, why not?
- Send in scanned conference certificate showing proof of attendance at all workshops and sessions.
- Scholarship recipient’s name and number of total hours attended must be printed legibly on the front and back of the Conference certificate.
- All of the session stickers received after each workshop/general session must be in place on the back side of the certificate.
- Scan both sides of the certificate and send the certificate file to the designated email.
- Submission deadline for all required documentation is Saturday, June 28, 2019.
What are the Terms & Conditions of accepting the Scholarship?
- All post-conference documentation must be submitted no later than June 29th at 5:00 p.m. or the recipient will be responsible for the total amount of scholarship awarded. Documentation includes the Post-Conference Scholarship Survey with the scanned completed certificate.
- If CPA is notified that a scholarship recipient is unable to attend after May 24,2019, the following will occur:
- The applicant will be encouraged to find a replacement to attend
- If no replacement is forwarded to CPA by May 31,2019, scholarship recipient will be responsible to pay a cancellation fee of $85 per day for each day of conference cancelled for a maximum total of $340 if Pre-Conference and entire conference are cancelled
- While CPA will make the hotel reservation, it is the recipient’s responsibility to cancel hotel rooms that will not be utilized. If any reserved hotel rooms are not cancelled prior to 24 hours of the day(s) of stay, recipient will be responsible to pay the full amount of the billed by the hotel and be responsible to pay the full amount of the room(s) and will be billed accordingly.
- Scholarships are contingent on final fund availability. PCCD has given preliminary approval and will provide final funding approval no later than April 24, 219. In the unlikely event funding is not approved, recipients will be notified and can elect to either cancel their registration/hotel or assume financial responsibility.
Still interesting in applying for a scholarship?
Still have questions? Contact Jeff Hanley